Meet with Randy!

Today's Challenge: Why Read Blogs?

If you’re new to my site, you may not know each Friday I answer a question from a leader somewhere in the world. The series is called Today’s Challenge. Today… Why read blogs?
This may strike you as an odd question, but I like it – maybe because two years ago, I was asking the same question. Let’s face it, I don’t know any leaders who seem to have much spare time on their hands. Most leaders are confronted daily with the challenge of doing more with less. For many of us, the demands of our role quickly consume our personal and leadership capacity. So again, I think the question, “Why read blogs?” is relevant.
Here are five reasons I suggest every leader find a few blogs he or she finds helpful and add them to your routine.
Easy to scan for relevance – If you subscribe to a few blogs through email or RSS, you can look at the title and/or the first paragraph and determine if you want to read it now, later or never. It’s not as easy to make that determination when reading a book or considering a podcast.
Compressed information – Most blogs, at least the ones I read, are fairly succinct. This saves time! I would rather get an idea in 500 words (560 today) vs. having to read a 200-page book. If I like the idea or need more information, there’s almost always a book on the topic in question. Or, you can use the comment section to contact the author directly to obtain more insight.
Timely information – If I have a leadership thought today and decide to write a book about it, the information might make it to the world in 24 MONTHS. If something happens in the news that contains a leadership lesson for us all, it can be in our inbox within minutes/hours. (Here’s a post I wrote when Peyton Manning left the Colts.) Blogs have become a primary news source for our generation.
Trusted source – Every writer has bias. When you and I choose who we read, we can do so based on what we know about the writer. What is his or her worldview? What motivates them? What are they trying to accomplish? Do we feel they are a trusted source of counsel? We get to decide. This is much more difficult (impossible) with traditional media.
Easy to share – I’m convinced one of the things the best leaders do is help others learn and grow. This takes many forms. One of them is sharing links to good content you’ve discovered on a blog. Yes, you can tell someone about a book or a podcast; you can even buy them a book. But how many books can you buy for others? Sharing a post is easy, fast and cheap.
I’m not looking for more to do, but I am looking for ways to lead more effectively. Blogs help me do that. That’s why I’m stepping up my readership. My goal is to read at least one post a day.
If blogs aren’t part of your leadership development routine, give it a try for 30 days. If it doesn’t help, try a few other sites before you abandon the idea. I think you’ll find the practice to be a low investment, high return activity.[GLS_Shield]
Which leadership blogs do you find helpful?

David Sparks

7 years ago

You already have some listed on your sidebar. I would add to it Skip Prichard (http://www.skipprichard.com/). Skip adds great interviews (written and video), as well as timely posts that relate ordinary life and leadership principles together.

Richard Plank

7 years ago

I enjoy reading Tim Elmore’s Growing Leaders blog. What would your top 5 or 10 recommeded blogs to read?

mark

7 years ago

Tim is a good friend. I love his stuff too! Regarding my top 10, I’m working on building a new list. I’ll share it on the site in the weeks ahead. Please call on me if I can serve you or your team in the future. Thanks for taking time to comment! Mark

Michael Hyatt

Great post, Mark.
I read your, Ron Edmondson, Skip Prichard, and John C. Maxwell.
Thanks for all you do.

mark

7 years ago

Thanks, Mike! I read your blog too. I appreciate your encouragement and your example. Mark

Drew

7 years ago

Just like you, I read Mike Hyatt, John Maxwell, Seth Godin, Pat Lencioni, and the WCA. I’ve also added a blog by one of my organizational leaders, Bob Tiede, called “Leading with Questions”
Thanks for a great blog!
-Andrew Lundgren

mark

7 years ago

Thanks for your comment. I read Leading with Questions too! I’m working on finding new sources. I’ll publish a top 10 list in the weeks ahead. Please let me know if I can serve you or your team in the future. Mark

Nathan Magnuson

7 years ago

Mark, I’ve really enjoyed blogging at http://www.nathanmagnuson.com, as it helps me clarify my own ideas further. In fact, you’ve already shared some great ideas with me! My question is: how do you find/make time to read blogs, in addition to writing your own, in addition to your current leadership responsibilities? There are several high quality blogs I’d like to read regularly (and to share), but it seems like it’s always a challenge to keep up.

Five Blogs – 8 April 2013 | 5blogs

[…] Today´s Challenge – Why Read Blogs Written by: Mark Miller […]

John E. Smith

7 years ago

The blogs already mentioned are all great sources.
Here a few more that may not be on most folks radar yet:
Influence and Problem Solving by Mike Lehr (http://blog.omegazadvisors.com/)
Everyday Leadership by Dan Mulhern (http://www.danmulhern.com/)
Dan Black on Leadership (http://danblackonleadership.info/)
Terry Starbucker (http://www.terrystarbucker.com/)
For aggregated leadership wisdom:
LeadChange (http://leadchangegroup.com/)
Linked 2 Leadership (http://linked2leadership.com/)
Plus a personal favorite, maybe just for the title:):
Leadership Freak by Dan Rockwell (http://leadershipfreak.wordpress.com/)
Others exist, but these are all places I consistently find leadership wisdom to share with others and to personally inspire my own efforts.
John

mark

7 years ago

Thanks, John! Great list – I’ll check out all of them. Thanks for joining the conversation! Mark

Abdul Kareem

7 years ago

Excellent post. I happened to view this post through Christina Lattimer at People Discovery, UK whose blogs I read regularly. I agree with your views that blogs provide succinct, timely information from trusted sources that is easy to share.
I read blogs from leading personalities like Christina Lattimer, Skip Prichard, Jesse Lyn Stoner, Whitney Johnson, Tanveer Naseer, Ted Coine, Ken Blanchard, Productive Muslim, Meghan Biro, Lolly Daskal, Guy Kawasaki, Tanmay Vora, etc.
I find blogs have enriched my life to a great extent. I have now added your blog to my list of favorites. Thanks for your efforts and sharing your views.

mark

7 years ago

Abdul, thanks for taking time to comment! I will check out all of the blogs you suggested. Thank you! Mark

InteGREAT_Logos_D_1C_WHITE-1