Meet with Randy!

Top Mistakes Leaders Make

I read a fun article today in Golf Digest: “The Top 40 Mistakes Golfers Make.” The list included: Wearing black socks with khakis, following a bad shot with a dumb one, and thinking a white belt makes you look hip! It was such a good list I decided to make my own: The top mistakes leaders make. Let me warn you, my list is not as fun as theirs.

1. Leading without a destination – Call this what you will, but don’t confuse it with leadership.
2. Forgetting vision leaks – The vast majority of leaders, maybe 90% or more, don’t communicate vision enough.
3. Assuming the future will be an extension of the past – This is how leaders, companies and organizations become irrelevant.
4. Being unwilling to change – The best leaders know, progress is always preceded by change.
5. Failing to build a succession plan – Hans Finzel wrote years ago, “There is no success without a successor.”
6. Confusing hope with strategy – Hope is a wonderful thing, but it is no substitute for a well-conceived, well-executed plan.
7. Ignoring social media – According to Michael Hyatt, “Social media is the most powerful leadership tool in the history of the world.”
8. Keeping someone on the team who cannot do their job – If this is a struggle for you, I recommend Henry Cloud’s book, Necessary Endings.
9. Not investing in leadership development – I believe this is why so many organizations are over-managed and under-led.
10. Focusing exclusively on results – A focus on results and relationships is a great example of Jim Collins’ concept: The genius of the AND.
11. Failing to call people to action – Leaders not only cast vision, they call people to do something.

12. Not walking the talk. Trust and credibility can be lost in a heartbeat if a leader’s words and deeds are not aligned. tweet-graphic-1

13. Not establishing core values – If you don’t tell people what’s important, they’ll guess – they may guess wrong.
14. Not enforcing core values – If you do have core values and don’t enforce them, you’re better off without them.
15. Not establishing key performance metrics – Nothing improves without measurement.
16. Being a self-serving vs. a serving leader – If your heart is not right, no one cares about your skills.
17. Not committing to life-long learning Your capacity to grow determines your capacity to lead.
18. Operating in an outdated structure – Structure should enable, not inhibit the accomplishment of your goals.
19. Attempting to make all the decisions – The leader who tries to make all the decisions is literally starving while sitting on a sandwich.
20. Doing what you’ve always done and expecting a different outcome – This is also the definition of insanity.
This was a fun list to make – and it didn’t take but a couple of minutes! Why? I’ve made many of these mistakes myself. The trick… avoid making them more than once.[GLS_Shield]
How about you? Send me some of your favorite leadership mistakes and I’ll do another post to share them. You can leave your contribution in the comments section below.

Geoff Roberts

6 years ago

Not understanding when to lead and when to manage – resulting in their brainspace being taken up by day to day management instead of future leadership

Jonathan Shurbutt

6 years ago

What a sobering list, and an excellent metaphor for #19! Leading smaller groups and initiatives in the past, I have committed the mistake of ‘over-democracy’. While ensuring everyone had a valid voice, I ran the risk of turning all-star teams into stubborn owners. This is often a thin line that takes wisdom to manage. Many of a leader’s best intentions can quickly become damaging failures.

Barry Reynolds

6 years ago

How about adding one more to the list – #21. Reviewing the list of top mistakes and thinking of them in the context of someone else, and not themselves. – You can’t develop the leadership skills of others without first developing your own.

Craig Goettsche

6 years ago

Leadership mistake…Trusting without verifying

Gwyneth Jones

6 years ago

21. Not placing a high value in your school Library program & Teacher Librarian – s/he can help you in SO many ways! Including making the library the learning commons hub for the school & community! + An ed tech leader on your side! #Advocacy
Cheers!
~GwynethJones
The Daring Librarian

Elizabeth Prado Lubbock Texas

6 years ago

forgetting to pull individuals aside when things are not being done right, or when they don’t pay attention and have to repeat the whole scenario again

Srinivas Belvadi

6 years ago

Three other mistakes come to mind..
1. Lack of Trust – this eventually leads people we lead losing faith in our vision.
2. Micromanaging – evidently because we don’t trust and thus kill creativity.
3. Instant Results – hankering for instant results causing widespread frustration.

Mistakes Leaders Make « Grand Rapids District

6 years ago

[…] Hills, Heartland District Superintendent, recently sent me an article by Mark Miller entitled “Top Mistakes Leaders Make.”  I found it a helpful reminder as I seek to carry out the Disciplinary definition of my job, […]

Mistakes Leaders Make: part 2 « Grand Rapids District

6 years ago

[…] week I began highlighting some of the “Top Mistakes Leaders Make” from an article by Mark Miller author of the blog “Resources for your leadership journey.” […]

Mistakes Leaders Make: part 3 « Grand Rapids District

6 years ago

[…] the last couple of weeks I have been writing about the “Top Mistakes Leaders Make” from an article by Mark Miller author of the blog “Resources for your leadership journey.”  […]

The Top 10 Leadership Posts I Read The Week Of September 1st | Brian Dodd on Leadership

6 years ago